Page content edited for scientific accuracy by Bryn Sachdeo PhD
What Makes Us Different
Illuminate Labs is the most transparent supplement company in the U.S.
All Illuminate Labs supplements meet European Union dietary supplement contaminant standards which are some of the strictest in the world. We test our products for purity, potency and label accuracy at a third-party lab called the U.S. Botanical Safety Laboratory and then publish the test results for you the consumer to see. We only sell products that pass this rigorous testing.
In January of 2020, over 800 individual supplement brands (supplied by three large contract manufacturers) were ordered to take all of their products off the market by the Food and Drug Administration (FDA) for significant violations of Good Manufacturing Practice (GMP). The only way for consumers to know that the supplements they're taking are safe and effective is to see test results from a third-party laboratory.
Additionally, we publish all of the medical research that went into our supplement formulations right on each product page. See the Medical Research section at the bottom of this page to view the 10 research papers that went into our Ginkgo Biloba Extract formulation. These publications prove the safety and efficacy of ginkgo biloba supplementation at the dosage we use.
The test result documents are highly technical. If you have any questions about them please contact us. We're always happy to answer consumer questions.
What is Ginkgo Biloba?
Ginkgo biloba extract is an herbal extract derived from the leaves of the Maidenhair Tree. It's considered a nootropic compound, which refers to a class of compounds that support cognitive function and memory.
Please see the Medical Research section below for a highlight of publications which studied the effect of ginkgo biloba extract on cognitive function, memory and test-taking ability.
All Illuminate Labs herbal extracts are sourced from a variety of different countries based on seasonality and purity of raw materials.
Ingredients: 240 mg Ginkgo Biloba Leaf Extract Standardized to Minimum 24% Flavone Glycosides & Minimum 6% Terpene Lactones, Rice Flour, Hypromellose (Cellulose Capsule), Magnesium Stearate, Silicon Dioxide
Product Features: Fully Standardized, 100% Vegan, GMO Free, Allergen Free, Gluten Free
Subscription Terms: Subscriptions can be paused or cancelled at any time by contacting Illuminate Labs. Individual subscription orders will not be refunded if the refund request is received after the item has shipped.
Medical Research on Ginkgo Biloba (Efficacy & Safety):
1. “Taken together, the findings from standardized neuropsychologic assessment and a subjective, self-report questionnaire suggested that relatively short-term (i.e., 6 weeks) utilization of Ginkgo biloba extract EGb 761 may prove efficacious in enhancing certain neurocognitive functions/processes of cognitively intact older adults.”
2. “Overall, the results from both objective, standardized, neuropsychological tests and a subjective, follow-up self-report questionnaire provided complementary evidence of the potential efficacy of Ginkgo biloba EGb 761 in enhancing certain neuropsychological/memory processes of cognitively intact older adults, 60 years of age and over.”
3. “After treatment, the [Ginkgo biloba] group showed a reduction in blood viscosity, improved cerebral perfusion in specific areas and improved global cognitive functioning. The control group showed the opposite - higher blood viscosity, a reduction in cerebral perfusion (in specific areas), and cognitive deterioration in different functions.”
4. “[Gingko biloba] at 240 mg/day is able to stabilize or slow decline in cognition, function, behavior, and global change at 22-26 weeks in cognitive impairment and dementia, especially for patients with neuropsychiatric symptoms.”
5. “We observed indications for improved cognitive flexibility without changes in brain activation, suggesting increased processing efficiency with [Ginkgo biloba].”
6. “Ginkgo biloba leaf tablet showed good efficacy in promoting episodic memory function in MCI patients.”
7. “After 6 weeks, [Ginkgo biloba]-treated subjects improved significantly in quantity of recall, i.e., the number of correctly recalled appointments...[Ginkgo biloba] (240 mg once daily) improves free recall of appointments in middle-aged healthy volunteers, which requires high demands on self-initiated retrieval of learned material. This function is known to be sensitive to normal aging, i.e., reduced in healthy middle-aged subjects.”
8. “These results show that acute Ginkgo biloba administration enhances cognitive performance in healthy young adults.”
9. “As a dietary supplement, dosages range from 80 mg to 240 mg of dry extract divided into 2 or 3 daily doses, with an average daily recommended dose of 120 mg... Ginkgo has been studied in numerous controlled trials and has displayed a good safety profile over time.”
10. “Regarding safety, in all trials reviewed the adverse event profile of [ginkgo biloba extract] was not different from that of the placebo.”
hard to find good vegan supplements
i've been vegan for 23 years now and it can be hard to find good vegan supplements. like these supplements.
I didn't notice benefits
I had ordered these pills and the ceylon pills. The ceylon was good for me but I didn't notice anything with these. Maybe I needed to take them separately but any way I didn't notice any benefits and will not be reording this product.
The serving size says two but sometimes I only need one of these before work.