Page edited for scientific accuracy by Bryn Sachdeo PhD.
What Makes Us Different
Illuminate Labs is the most transparent supplement company in the U.S.
All Illuminate Labs supplements meet European Union dietary supplement contaminant standards (strictest in the world). We test our products for purity, potency and label accuracy at a third-party laboratory called the U.S. Botanical Safety Laboratory and then publish the test results for you the consumer to see. We only sell products that pass this rigorous testing.
In January of 2020, over 800 individual supplement brands (supplied by three large contract manufacturers) were ordered to take all of their products off the market by the Food and Drug Administration (FDA) for significant violations of Good Manufacturing Practice (GMP). The only way for consumers to know that the supplements they're taking are safe and effective is to see test results from a third-party laboratory.
Additionally, we publish all of the medical research that went into our supplement formulations right on each product page. See the Medical Research section at the bottom of this page to view the 12 research papers that went into our Ashwagandha Extract formulation. These publications prove the safety and efficacy of ashwagandha supplementation at the dosage we use.
What is Ashwagandha?
Ashwagandha (botanical name withania somnifera) is an herb used for centuries in Eastern traditions. This herb is categorized as an adaptogen; a category of natural compounds that may help the body deal with stress.
Ashwagandha can help support healthy stress levels. Many consumers take it to reduce their anxiety.
This herb can also support healthy reproductive function in men, and it's been studied to this effect more in recent years. In the past ashwagandha was considered only an adaptogen and was mostly studied for its anxiolytic (anti-anxiety) effects.
Please see the Medical Research section below for a highlight of publications which studied the effect of ashwgandha extract on anxiety, stress, and male reproductive markers such as testosterone and sperm count.
All Illuminate Labs herbal extracts are sourced from a variety of different countries based on seasonality and purity of raw materials.
Ingredients: 600 mg Ashwagandha (Withania Somnifera) Root Extract Standardized to Minimum 1.5% Withanolides, Hypromellose (Cellulose Capsule), Rice Flour, Silicon Dioxide, Magnesium Stearate
Product Features: Fully Standardized, 100% Vegan, GMO Free, Allergen Free, Gluten Free
Subscription Terms: Subscriptions can be paused or cancelled at any time by contacting Illuminate Labs. Individual subscription orders will not be refunded if the refund request is received after the item has shipped.
Pregnancy Notice: We recommend that pregnant women consult with their doctor prior to taking this (or any other) dietary supplement.
Medical Research on Ashwagandha (Efficacy & Safety):
1. “The treatment group that was given the high-concentration full-spectrum Ashwagandha root extract exhibited a significant reduction (P<0.0001) in scores on all the stress-assessment scales on Day 60, relative to the placebo group. The serum cortisol levels were substantially reduced (P=0.0006) in the Ashwagandha group, relative to the placebo group.”
2. “The results of this study suggest that Ashwagandha root extract reduces psychological and physiological markers of stress, improves mental well-being, and reduces serum cortisol level and food cravings and improves eating behaviors.”
3. “All five studies concluded that [ashwagandha] intervention resulted in greater score improvements (significantly in most cases) than placebo in outcomes on anxiety or stress scales.”
4. “Essentially, this study demonstrated a trend for the anxiolytic superiority of [ashwagandha extract] over placebo at week 2, and a statistically significant superiority at week 6...Thus, ashwagandha appeared to have several of the advantages but none of the disadvantages of the conventional anxiolytic drugs such as the benzodiazepines, the tricyclic antidepressants, and buspirone.”
5. “Results revealed significantly greater reductions in stress outcomes from [ashwagandha], corresponding with significant decreases in salivary cortisol (a stress/anxiety biomarker).”
6. "...the differential activation of GABA receptor subtypes elucidates a potential mechanism by which [ashwagandha extract] accomplishes its reported adaptogenic properties."
7. “This study provides scientific validation to the anxiolytic, anti-inflammatory and anti-apoptotic properties of ASH-WEX, which may serve as an effective dietary supplement for management of SD induced stress and associated functional impairments.”
8. “The most consistent positive finding of the present study was that decreased fertility in males was ameliorated by Ashwagandha root extract as evidenced by an increase in sperm concentration, ejaculate volume, and motile sperm count and an increase in the serum levels of testosterone.”
9. “Over the eight weeks, there was a significant increase in testosterone level in the ashwagandha treatment group relative to the placebo group.”
10. “The use of roots of W. somnifera for 3 months showed meaningful effects on semen profiles...Withania somnifera also showed marked improvement in sperm concentration and motility in normozoospermic but infertile patients.”
11. “Reports of major side effects of Ashwagandha are relatively scarce making it an attractive agent for cancer chemoprevention in humans. To assess acute toxicity, Wistar rats were administered a very large dose of 2000 mg/kg WS root extract for 14 days where no mortality or signs of toxicity were observed.”
12. " Preliminary studies have found various constituents of ashwagandha exhibit a variety of therapeutic effects with little or no associated toxicity. These results are very encouraging and indicate this herb should be studied more extensively to confirm these results and reveal other potential therapeutic effects."